Saturday, April 20, 2013

Gem

I have been browsing through old notes of mine.  I came across this gem, which, in honesty, encouraged me more than it did even then when I wrote it! Back in September 2009 I journaled about the use of names--more specifically, my own to my sons--Mom.  I am reminded tonight of the preciousness of this, the trust, hope, grace, and love that embodies my name and what a gift and responsibility it is.  More importantly, I lean on the name of Jesus.  He is my everything.  I needed that tonight...

So here's the original note. Ethan was in Kindergarten, and Isaac still in a crib! LOL!  How time changes, but our heart's lessons go on.   Hope it gives you encouragement like it did me.  
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My bright-blue-eyed alarm clock woke me this morning. "Mom," the voice said softly,"I think your radio is on." Sure enough, the music was playing and neither Dan nor myself were moving. I inhaled deeply, hoping to expunge some energy from the little man standing beside my bed. 

As we go into his bedroom to hunt for the little plush walrus that he won for "good listening" in school yesterday, Ethan finds it and jumps up victorious! "Mom! I found it!" Simultaneously, I hear Isaac in his room next door wake up and chime in, "Momma! Momma! Momma!" 

I realized then how often I take hearing my name for granted. As a Mom, you often wish you had the ability to be called something different. You hear it all too much, usually at the most inopportune of times. My mother-in-law tells me that when my husband and his siblings were little, she would half-jokingly, half-seriously tell them that she changed her name and would not be responding to "Mom" anymore. Thankfully, there is a name that never loses it's urgency, never leaves the caller to fend for themselves, and always responds with an answer--God. 

The Psalmist, David, the Israelite King with a tendency to see the cup half empty one second, and overflowing the next, explains my point: "Pay attention God to my prayer; bend down and listen to my cry for help. Every time I'm in trouble I call on you, confident that you'll answer." When my children call me, use my name, they are confident I'll answer. They link my name with a need--with a question, with a conversation, with an answer. All to often I forget that my God is just a name away, hoping that I will call, hoping that I will take a moment and speak with Him, confident that He will listen and respond as He says He will.

I'm only human, and my name is fallible. My ability to answer every question and meet every need of my children is about as dependable as my ability to hear my alarm clock every morning. Thankfully, like David, I have a name to call on when my name fails. I have strength and hope in the name of God, his son Jesus--a name above every other name. 

I hear my name being called in the kitchen--Isaac wants to show me a truck...I'm glad to answer, because I am glad he knows my name. I am glad he uses it, and trusts I will answer.

-Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment